Under the general direction and supervision of the Manager, the National Inuit Language Coordinator will lead the co-ordination, design, development, implementation, and monitoring of national Inuit language projects, including the unification of the Inuit language writing system.
· Leads the overall development of the unification of the Inuit language writing system
· Chair the Atausiq Inuktut Titirausiq Development Team (AITDT); development meeting agendas, record meeting minutes, coordinate meetings and other activities;
· Compile and organize Inuit language research to use as required by the AIT Development Team;
· Conduct research, internal consultation and external consultation with Inuit organizations as required;
· Develop research framework related to the unification of Inuktut writing systems as directed by the AIT Development Team;
· Develop partnerships to fulfill the AIT Development Team’s work plans;
· Manage and coordinate the implementation of action plans and initiatives as directed by the AIT Development Team;
· Engage the participation of regional language authorities and experts in the work of the AIT Development Team;
· Prepare, manage and coordinate reports and updates for the National Inuit Committee on Education;
· Manage and coordinate the implementation of the recommendations and initiatives resulting from the National Inuit Language Summit held in August, 2015.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
· Inuktut language proficiency at a master level (a competency test may be administered);
· Knowledge of linguistics or willingness to extend knowledge through training is an asset;
· Self-motivated and directed;
· Ability to work co-operatively with a variety of individuals and groups;
· Consultation protocol.
· Minimum of five years of policy/project management experience related to the tasks assigned to this position;
· Financial/budget management experience;
· General research and policy development experience;
· Inuktut material development and/or Inuktut teaching experience.
· A degree or diploma in a relevant discipline, combined with three years of policy/project management experience;
*Applicants who are a Beneficiary under a Land Claims Agreement will be given priority hiring. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in ITK however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: November 22, 2019
Conditional to ITK’s Human Resources Policies, you may be eligible for:
· Group Insurance
· RRSP contributions
· Training allowance
· Health and wellness allowance
· Relocation allowance
· Vacation – starting out at 3 weeks/year
· Xmas break (usually between Xmas and New Year)